Copper State FIT is an official dotFIT affiliate. However, this post was NOT sponsored by, paid for, or influenced by dotFIT. We simply wanted to look in to the efficacy of one of their products. using some observable, measurable data.
It’s not often we have such an opportunity so we decided to capitalize. We will continue to search for more opportunities with more products in the future. So, let’s get the ball rolling.
First, a little about the product directly from the dotFIT website.
The dotFIT Pre/Post Workout Formula & Meal Replacement™ can help everyone accomplish two important health, sport and fitness goals:
- Consuming convenient and satisfying meals and snacks in fewer calories – a necessity for proper weight control in the 21st century.
- Consuming ideal amounts of carbohydrates, protein and fat in a form that can be rapidly digested before and immediately after exercise. Doing so enhances workouts, recovery and performance.
- For delicious shake recipes click here
- For higher calorie intake: For pre-workout (30-45 minutes) add two (2) scoops (61 g) of powder to at least one cup (8 fl. oz.) of cold water or liquid of your choice. To maximize recovery after workouts or competition (within 45 minutes) use two (2) additional scoops (61 g) post-workout.
- For lower calorie intake: For pre-workout (30-45 minutes) add one (1) scoop (30.5 g) of powder to at least one cup (8 fl. oz.) of cold water or liquid of your choice. To maximize recovery after workouts or competition (within 45 minutes) use one (1) additional scoop (30.5 g) post-workout.
- Can also be used as a meal replacement or snack. Increase or decrease the amount of liquid to achieve desired consistency. Shake, stir or blend until dissolved. Add crushed ice, frozen yogurt, or your favorite fruit to increase calories for a thicker, tastier shake.
Serving Size Serving Size: 2 Scoops (61 grams)
Servings Per Container Servings Per Container: 20
Amount Per Serving
Calories 240 Calories from Fat 22.5
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2.5g 4%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 60mg 20%
Sodium 140mg 6%
Total Carbohydrate 33g 11%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Protein 21g 42%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- Other Ingredients: Maltodextrin, Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Casein), High Oleic Sunflower Creamer, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Carboxymethylcellulose, Salt, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Xanthan Gum, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Conjugated Linoleic Acid
- Allergen Statement: Contains Milk and Soy. Produced in a facility that also processes egg, soy and shellfish.
- Contains No: Fish, Crustacean shellfish, Tree nuts, Peanuts, or Gluten. No Starch, Artificial coloring or Preservatives added.
Figure 1: Training results from 23 experienced recreational bodybuilders resistance training for 10 weeks with all things (diet, supplements, training, etc.) equal except the addition of pre/post feedings. Significantly greater gains in body mass, LBM & strength were realized for the pre/post feeding subjects with a concurrent reduction in fat mass.
Reference: Cribb PJ et al. Med Sci Sport Exerc. 2006 Nov;38(11):1918-25.
Now, for our review…
If you would like a more in depth discussion of pre/ post workout supplementation read my article here.
WHY do you want to supplement post workout?
To summarize, there is a 45 minute window after our workout in which we should strive to accomplish the following:
- Reverse the catabolic process of the workout and begin the repair process
- Replenish glycogen (carb) stores lost through exercise
Additionally, in this 45 minute window, our bodies are primed and ready to pull in the additional carbohydrates and protein. And, when we take advantage of this window, our insulin sensitivity is increased even after the 45 minute window. Win/ Win!
HOW can we take advantage of the 45 minute window?
In this case, we used dotFIT pre/ post workout formula. It provided the right carbohydrate/ protein cocktail to do the trick by raising blood sugar, subsequently insulin, and halting the affects of cortisol. And, by opening the flood gates, protein is shuttled to the damaged tissue to facilitate the repair process.
WHAT did we find?
Our test subject is a type 1 diabetic. As a diabetic, our subject wears a Dexcom unit which allowed for some real-time analitics.
In short, the Dexcom is a device that the subject wears along with an implanted glucometer for continual blood sugar readings. The Dexcom transmits the real-time blood sugar data to a smartphone app via bluetooth.
Our subject consumed the Pre/Post Vanilla after a workout at 9:53am. By 10:30am, the subject’s blood sugar was up from 76mg/ DL to 126mg/ DL and rising at a rate in excess of 3mg/ DL/ min.
From this information, we can see that blood sugar has been raised quickly and in a non-diabetic subject, this rise in blood sugar would be accompanied by a rise in insulin; exactly what we want.
This rise in insulin will blunt the affects of cortisol and allow the repair process to begin. It will also assist in the shuttling of amino acids to the damaged tissue to facilitate repair. And, lastly, the glucose will restore glycogen levels.
I acknowledge that this was only performed on one subject and is far from scientific. Having said that, this was enough proof for me to say that the dotFIT Pre & Post workout formula provides an optimal protein & carbohydrate ratio in a low fat/ zero fiber blend to set the stage for accomplishing the goals of the post workout meal.
This is a highly recommended product. Email me directly firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like a discount code for this product.
Click HERE for the full 8 page paper, on this product, from the Practitioner Dietary Supplement Reference Guide 2015.