We get a lot of questions about supplements. With that in mind, we decided to put together this simple, yet comprehensive list of the supplements we recommend most often.
For quick reference, we’ve broken them up in to 3 categories:
- Optimal Health: Which encompasses the basics. These are the supplements virtually everyone should be taking.
- Weight Loss: Which, as the name implies, include supplements that will assist those seeking the goal of weight loss.
- Muscle Gain & Performance: For those who are looking to build muscle, gain strength and maximize their performance in the gym, on the court or on the field.
A few thoughts before getting to the details. We recognize there are virtually infinite options when it comes to choosing a supplement brand or product. We believe you should be educated about what you put in to your body. That said, here are some facts about the supplement industry that you may (or may not) know.
- The FDA is NOT authorized to review dietary supplement products for safety and effectiveness before they are marketed. It is left up to the manufacturers and distributors to make sure their products are safe BEFORE they go to market.
- If the dietary supplement contains a NEW ingredient, manufacturers must notify FDA about that ingredient prior to marketing. However, the notification will only be reviewed by FDA (not approved) and only for safety, not effectiveness.
- FDA can take dietary supplements off the market if they are found to be unsafe or if the claims on the products are false and misleading.
That said, all of the supplements we are recommending meet the following criteria:
- Pharmaceutically manufactured
- Largest line of 3rd party tested dietary supplements including NSF Certified for Sport (NSFCS)
- Not available in retail stores or consumer channels, only distributed directly through certified practitioners.
In the end, what you put in your body is up to you. We simply believe in providing you as much information as we can so you can make the most informed decision.
Now, let’s get to the the info you really came to see (smile).
*If you would like to place a purchase, simply click on the image of the product you wish to buy*
The goal of OPTIMAL HEALTH supplements is to aid in establishing and preserving ideal health, or potentially stave off chronic or age-related disease, by delivering important nutrient compounds that may be unattainable from diet.
In other words, we believe the supplements in this category are not only helpful in attaining optimal health, they should be considered essential and/ or necessary. They serve as the foundation before considering supplements from other categories.
- Fill the necessary nutritional gaps left from suboptimal diets and to allow the body to function at full potential as opposed to down regulating to the often unavoidable limitations from food alone.
- Different formulas to meet the unique needs of different populations
- All nutrients are in their proper bioavailable and functionally available forms, ratios and strengths to help maintain a safe and optimal range 24 hours/day
- Use of controlled-release delivery systems to ensure daily ideal nutrient levels and prevent tissue oversaturation and losses
- Manufactured in a regularly inspected NSF certified facility.
- Active MV is NSF Certified for Sport which ensures it is free of banned substances
|ACTIVE MV||WOMEN’S MV||OVER 50 MV||VEGAN MV|
- Western diets have a high ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 often as high as 30:1. The ideal omega-6 to omega-3 ratio should be no more than 4:1. Current evidence suggests that the high ratio is directly associated with inflammatory-based diseases such as cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, atherosclerosis, and obesity.
- The results of a recent double-blind study showed that six weeks of supplemental fish oil significantly increased lean mass, and significantly reduced fat mass in healthy adults.
- For adults, trying to establish a healthy and balanced gut microbiota to achieve associated benefits of a properly functioning GI tract such as nutrient digestion, absorption, signaling, pathogen inhibition, and immune support
- Athletes participating in prolonged high intensity or endurance activities seeking immune support
- Some human studies determined that obesity is associated with low quantities of intestinal
Bacteroidetes and high Firmicutes and reduced overall bacterial diversity.
- Bio-enhanced Acid Resistant Strains (BEARS) ensures survivability in both low (acid) and high (alkaline) pH environments. The BEARS strains in this formula are designed to withstand the acid conditions present in the stomach during digestion without the need for an enteric coating.
- The prebiotic blend consists of FOS (food source for probiotics), and FiberAid® arabinogalactans (patented prebiotic from Lonza® that helps support the growth of probiotics)
- To supply a source of vitamin D3 (V-D3) that can help the body achieve total vitamin D to a measurement which has recently been associated with greater health outcomes related to total mortality, cardiovascular and respiratory disease, fractures and all-cause dementia.
- Achieving vitamin D through sun can be unpredictable at best because amounts achieved are based on body surface area and duration of exposure, angle of the sun, latitude, season, and time of the day. At worst, relying on the sun could be harmful to long-term health.
- Emerging data suggests that vitamin D levels above the normal reference range, may be beneficial to athletic performance
- Use as a supplement to all other vitamin D sources including a multivitamin and mineral to achieve the desired level
The goal of supplements in the WEIGHT LOSS category is to assist in increasing/ maintaining compliance with the daily routine that leads to weight loss/ fat reduction.
Other than the regular use of meal replacement shakes/ bars, which can be used as convenient alternatives to traditional daily meal planning/ prepping, the WEIGHT LOSS category supplements should be discontinued once the weight goal is achieved.
All ingredients in the supplements listed here have safely demonstrated the potential to act in one or more of the following ways:
- Help create and maintain a calorie deficit by increasing daily calorie expenditure when compared to a non-supplemented state
- Reduce lean body mass (muscle) loss during caloric restriction
- Increase energy levels that may lead to greater caloric expenditure throughout the day
- Reduction of appetite
- Decrease calorie absorption
LEAN MR (Meal Replacement)
- High Protein (21g), High Fiber (7g), ZERO sugar!
- Studies demonstrate the use of meal replacements (MRs) to be an effective aid to weight reduction and, in almost all cases, prove to be more effective than dietary restriction alone.
- MRs were shown to be just as effective as dietary restriction combined with pharmacological therapy and an important continuing protocol for maintaining weight loss.
- MRs are now categorized as “evidence-based” for weight loss and maintenance treatment. In a 1-year follow-up, subjects still using meal replacements maintained significantly more weight loss.
- In six different studies, all showed that those who were using meal replacements (MRs), as part of their overall calorie intake, lost significantly more weight than the group using a reduced calorie diet alone.
- Three main mechanisms of action allow meal replacements to live up to these findings:
- Portion Control: Pre-measured servings allow for precise caloric intake and accurate calorie count compared to having to estimate the calories of self-prepared or unmarked meals.
- Satiety: Properly formulated MRs allow the user to manage calories mean while higher protein, higher fiber, and low glycemic index (zero sugar) carbohydrate content help satisfy appetite and increase daily energy levels. Proper use throughout the day can deliver good nutrition while helping to save calories for favorite foods at desired times (e.g. higher calorie lunches and/or dinners).
- Preserve Lean Body Mass: Frequent feedings of higher protein to total daily calorie ratio
protects lean body mass losses while dieting to help maintain metabolism and performance, which is otherwise compromised when consuming only a restricted calorie diet.
|LEAN MR – VANILLA||LEAN MR – CHOCOLATE|
WEIGHT LOSS & LIVER SUPPORT
- Recommended for individuals with higher body fat levels (females >32% body fat and males >25%) to support a complete weight loss program and liver health
- STIMULANT FREE!!! fat-loss aid
- Weight loss & Liver Support contains natural substances known to support the health and proper functioning of the liver, especially when unwanted fat accumulates as a result of weight gain which
subsequently leads to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).
- Works at many different levels within the body (antioxidant, appetite, liver fat and sugar metabolism, etc.) to support the loss of body fat and improve overall metabolism
- Discontinue after reaching fat loss goal.
|WEIGHT LOSS & LIVER SUPPORT|
- Anyone seeking to enhance body-fat reduction without affecting the central nervous system
- STIMULANT FREE!! fat-loss and appetite aid for those who tend to enjoy or overeat carbohydrates
- Contains “Phase 2® White Bean Extract” which is the first nutritional ingredient that has been clinically and scientifically proven to neutralize/ reduce digestion/ absorption of starch (aka carbs)
- The FDA has accepted the following claims based on 16 clinical investigations:
- “May assist in weight control when used in conjunction with a sensible diet and exercise program”
- “May reduce the enzymatic digestion of dietary starches”
- Discontinue after reaching fat loss goal or until lifestyle helps maintain desired progress
**Therm Accel contains moderate doses of stimulants and should not be used by those seeking to avoid stimulants or any other ingredient contained in Therm Accel.**
- Accelerated fat loss via increased calorie burning through a balanced stimulant effect and appetite suppression during calorie restriction.
- Reduces the typical hardships associated with weight/fat reduction including avoiding or breaking through plateaus.
- Delivers a superior but balanced stimulatory effect thus eliminating the end of day “burnout” associated with other thermogenic products.
- Therm Accel contains Lepticore™, which has been awarded the patent and claims listed below:
- Assists in promoting fat loss (supported by US Patent 6,899,892)
- Assists in promoting a lower percentage of body fat (supported by US Patent 6,899,892)
- Promotes the reduction of stored fat by increasing fatty acid utilization in the fat cell
- Promotes the reduction of fat and an enhanced muscle-to-fat ratio
- Promotes the regulation of energy balance allowing for improved mental energy
- Discontinue after reaching body fat goal
- Do not use if taking heart medications.
- Do not mix with other stimulants
MUSCLE GAIN & PERFORMANCE
The goal of supplements in the MUSCLE GAIN & PERFORMANCE category is to aid competitive athletes and/ or exercisers in remaining competitive in their respective sport by attempting to make continuous strength and performance gains, or simply enhance training sessions over time.
Next, there is strong evidence that certain natural/bio substances, ingested properly within a training and nutrition plan, can safely improve recovery, muscle protein synthesis, time to exhaustion and training-induced size or performance for many athletes.
Finally, to meet the growing demands of athletes, coaches and all those concerned about safety and banned substances in sports supplements, NSF International created the NSF Certified for Sport® Program. The program’s objective is to certify that participating sports supplement manufacturers have met NSF’s stringent independent certification process guidelines, which were developed through a consensus process involving regulatory, sports industry and consumer groups. This program, which focuses primarily on the sports supplement manufacturing and sourcing process,
provides key preventive measures to:
- Protect against adulteration of products
- Verify label claims against product contents
- Identify athletic banned substances in the finished product or ingredients
AMINO BOOST XXL (BCAAs)
- Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) are recommended for all athletes/ exercisers seeking continuous physical and performance progress
- BCAAs have been used in studies in doses of at least 12 g/day with no side effects, making the dose in AminoBoostXXL quite safe for healthy users.
- Especially important recovery aid for older exercisers/athletes
- Because of its low-calorie content and high anabolic potential, Amino Boost may be used as the sole pre and post activity supplement for athletes requiring low body fat, prolonged restricted calorie dieting and/or weight restrictions (weight classes)
- Ideal for recovery on days of multiple training sessions or tournament play before and after each event
- Can be used with NO7Rage™ as part of a “Super Stack,” providing enhanced
progressive exercise-induced results
- The goal of supplementing creatine monohydrate is to increase the muscle levels of creatine and speed the regeneration of creatine phosphate.
- Along with increasing performance, creatine supplementation has also been shown to produces greater gains in exercise induced muscle hypertrophy compared to placebo.
- For all adult athletes seeking to improve training outcomes related to lean body mass, strength, speed and power during intermittent aerobic and anaerobic activity.
- Older adults seeking healthier aging and improved daily living as recommended by a qualified physician
- Aerobic or endurance athletes to potentially delay fatigue especially under high heat conditions and assisting post exercise glycogen resynthesis
- Contains Creapure®, a pure creatine monohydrate made in Germany, which helps creatine remain stable during digestion rendering it almost fully available to the body, thus giving it more potential to enhance training outcomes when compared to equal amounts of other creatine products
- NSF Certified for Sport (NSFCS), an independent third-party test which provides an additional product guarantee
NO-7 Rage: Pre-workout energy mix
**NO-7 Rage contains moderate doses of stimulants and should not be used by those seeking to avoid stimulants or any other ingredient contained in NO7- Rage.**
- As a pre-workout formula, NO7Rage contains a synergistic group of compounds designed to work together to produce the following before and during exercise:
- Greater desire to exercise
- Increased strength and power
- Longer and enhanced alertness and focus
- Improved muscle vasodilation and blood volume leading to greater muscle swelling, energy substrate delivery and waste product removal
- Attenuation of muscle damage
- A pre-workout supplement for anyone, not adversely affected by caffeine, needing pre-and during training sustained motivation and seeking an enhanced overall training session or competition outcome
- Deliver greater overall quality workouts while setting up the post-exercise period with an enhanced anabolic environment for faster, more efficient recovery, greater net protein synthesis and continuous performance gains especially when post-exercise nutrition is maximized using AminoBoost and/or the proper post-workout formula and meal planning
|BLUE RASPBERRY||MIXED BERRY||LEMONADE|
PRE & POST WORKOUT: Meal Replacement Formula
- Designed to support multiple sport and fitness goals:
- Meal replacement as needed for weight loss and/or weight maintenance (for weight loss see LEAN MR in “Weight Loss” category)
- Meal or daily supplement for weight gain
- Pre and post workout formula to enhance results especially within so called metabolic windows
- Daily protein supplement to help meet increased protein recommendations
- One serving has 21 grams of protein, 33-35 grams of carbs and only three grams of sugar
- Low fat <3g and NO FIBER for rapid digestion and assimilation during pre/post workout “metabolic windows”
- Sophisticated ideal blend of the highest quality fast and extended acting proteins